Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Wal-Mart conversation to remember...

(This picture was taken in our bathroom during bath time, not in the Wal-Mart restroom...actually the picture has nothing to do with the blog...I just wanted a pic of both boys to share.) :)


Friday I went to Wal-Mart with both boys...Noah David in the sling and Daniel Isaac riding in the buggy helping. It was our "big" trip, so I had really geared Daniel Isaac up to be big helper. He did wonderfully!!! He helped put items into the buggy and then helped unload them onto the check out counter. He also reminded me of the items he didn't want me to forget: marshmallows, strawberry milk, and a special snack for his p.j. movie night with Nana and Pops. Noah David happily napped most of the time when he wasn't grinning at fellow Wal-Mart shoppers.

So...we successfully get all the groceries bagged and out to the car, and as I'm unloading, no stuffing, them into the car and Noah David is waking up, Daniel Isaac declares, "Mommy, I have to go poo poo! Now! Hurry, hurry!" So, I say, "Baby, do you think you can hold it until we get home?" To which he replies, "No, Mommy, I can't hold it." So I hurry to get all the bags stuffed into our trunk piled on top of all of our card board that needs recycling and rush back inside Wal-Mart...ND still in the sling seeming to giggle, looking from my eyes down to his brother, knowing what's going on and DI running beside me holding my hand. We make it into the restroom and thankfully the large stall was open! Except the toilet wasn't flushed, and it was one of those automatic kind. Daniel Isaac explains to me, "Mommy this is the kind of potty that flushes all by itself," as I'm trying to figure out if there's some little button or trick to flush it. So we patiently waited for the automatic potty to realize it needed flushing while Daniel Isaac did a wiggle poop dance. We finally make it to him seated on the potty (meanwhile I'm praising the Lord for elastic waist band pants that he can pull down himself!!!) and he gets into conversation mode...

"Mommy, I'm gonna do a biiiiig poo poo."
"Good, Baby."
"Mommy, it's gonna be a loud one! [Makes poop sound effects with his mouth]"
"Yep."
[He goes.]
"Did you hear it, Mommy?!"
"Yes, sweetie."
"It was loud! " [More poop sounds from DI's mouth to recreate his moment.]
"Mommy, now you need to wipe my booty." (Thanks for the reminder, dear.)
"Mommy, this potty is going to flush all by itself!"
[We wait for potty to flush...forever.]
[Potty flushes.]
"Bye bye, Poo Poo!" Daniel Isaac yells and then adds a few more poop noises for effect.

Then the three of us emerge from the stall to a full bathroom of smiling, giggling women waiting their turn for the automatic potty, Daniel Isaac totally oblivious to his audience. What freedom and innocence...well, that's one way to look at it. Another by stander might think, "That mommy should work on teaching her child about potty mouth and manners..." :)

I walked out of Wal-Mart with my heart beaming in gratitude to our Lord for entrusting me with these two boys and for the opportunity to get to be their mama...and experience their poop emergencies.


No comments:

Post a Comment